OLD FATHER THAMES - THE SOURCE OF THE FAMOUS LONDON RIVER LIES FAR AWAY, DEEP IN THE COTSWOLD HILLS




ACCORDING TO SURVEY MAPS, the River Thames rises in a quiet field not far from Cirencester, a handsome old town in the Cotswolds, around 100 miles west of London.



The source is clearly labelled on my map (above) and I circled it here in red. Cirencester is off the map, to the upper right.



The nearest road to the source is quite busy, but there are some places to park, and after a false start or two, camera and I were marching towards the spot, following footpath signs (above) for about 20 minutes across open fields and over quaint old rural styles.

In wet weather, this field (below) will doubtless be very boggy, as it is near the place where the spring rises to form the source of the River Thames.



The source itself is perhaps a little unremarkable. In the pic (below) it's beyond the tree in the middle distance. Even so, finding it here is exciting stuff, as the river will grow and grow from here until it flows through and beyond London to Southend, Essex, where it finally meets the sea.

Here's a video (below) that I shot there, back in the Spring of 2009. It's not great quality, for which my apologies, but it does go to show how far affordable video technology has advanced in just half a decade. Back then, I needed a hefty bag to tote my camcorder and accessories - today, my iPhone does the job, and I can edit on it too!



Click here to look at iPhone 6 options to buy



Click here for details of Ordnance Survey maps

Comments

Popular Posts